12.13.2010

LEAD VOCALS -JOHNNY BILL


*Musical Influences…..
Bands that influenced Johnny in general are Guns & Roses, Nirvana, Tool and Queen. These were (and still are) some of his favorite bands that influenced him at the beginning of his own pursuit of music. But this is certainly are not a full and complete list of bands he liked back then, or now.
A couple of specific lead singers that influenced Johnny’s singing and vocal style are Freddie Mercury of Queen and Maynard James Keenan of Tool and A Perfect Circle.
*Life Philosophy…..
“At this point in life I feel like the best thing for me to do is to continue my musical endeavors, and to ignore everything else until it falls apart” –Johnny Bill
Johnny told me that he dislikes, and hates, “many things”. He said that should be “obvious to many through my lyrics”.  Johnny, like many of us, has his own way of looking at life. He is person who has his own views and opinions and likes to express his beliefs through his lyrics and songs.  He is quite blunt about his individualism as a person when he says “I have a personal mission spiritually, that I must protect from outside influence”.
In the years that I have known Johnny I have always known him to be a very dedicated family man who deeply loves his wife and his children. As the lead singer of the band he knows he has his job to do, and he is dedicated to doing it well. His has excitement and enthusiasm for the band in general, and his fellow band members, is always there when he talks to me about the band and what it’s projects are.
Years ago Johnny made a statement to me that had a big influence on my own thoughts about music in general. I would like to share that simple but profound statement with you here. Johnny said “all music is a gift from God”. A simple statement, but it was said to me in a very heartfelt manner by him.  Johnny has a deep passion for music and he also has one for what he believes in. He sees the world around him and he translates it into poetic song lyrics. He couples his lyrics with his very own way of singing that enters the listener’s ears and travels to their hearts and minds.  Johnny has not only a way with words when it comes to lyrical writing, but a way with his singing voice that passionately, yet melodically soothes the soul.  His voice can only be best described, by this writer, as sounding “bluesy, yet grungy”.   His singing style is kind of a cross between a Blues singer and a Grunge Rock singer. Johnny Bill's powerful vocals and lyrics make for a great combination. His vocals and the hard rocking music of the musicians he performs with make up AMERICAN LESION.  
“I will remain as ‘unopposed’ as possible to most ideas, until the procurator of the idea fails, then I will laugh.” –Johnny Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment